Thursday, July 9, 2009

Workshop at CMOG (Corning Museum of Glass)


On a countdown until I leave for beautiful Corning, New York and another week long session at The Studio at the Corning Museum of Glass. My glassblowing friend and I try to attend one or two weeks of workshops a year. This year we are taking a class from world-renowned fusing artist Marty Kremer. Be sure to check out his website.

Martin Kremer

Here is the description of the class from the class catalog:

Within the Walls

This technique-intensive workshop will focus on the potential for expression and discovery between the inside and outside of a vessel. Working with the bowl form, the class will explore the intended and the unexpected in "windows" through the vessel wall. Students will learn how to make and use different types of pattern bars, torch-worked elements, and prepared glass (painted, fritted and powdered, and confettied) as inclusions. Various surface techniques also will be explored.

Martin Kremer has been working with glass for more than 30 years. His current work includes large sculptures, which have been featured in museum and gallery shows, and a wide range of glass bowls and platters, which are shown at galleries internationally. He has studied blown and fused glass at the Penland School of Crafts, Urban Glass, and The Studio.


I can't wait. I leave on Sunday morning a little over a week from now. The long eight hour drive is worth it. Although the one time I went in January and there was a foot and a half of blinding snow. Driving through the mountains wasn't very pleasant at all. A summer drive is much nicer.

I've been creating pattern bars, rollout blanks, and other stuff for use in the class. I don't know exactly what we'll end up doing in the class. Each time I come prepared, we end up doing something completely different - and very wonderful - than what I expected.

Stay tuned for updates - I'll try to post during the evenings after class, but usually only get about six hours of sleep during the session so who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment