Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cool Tools - Wet Saw

This post is about one of my favorite glass tools. Most glass blowers would talk about their hand tools from Jim Moore or Carlo Dona and argue over which is best. Warm glass artists talk about their cutters and their kilns. But for me, right now, my favorite tool is my DeWalt wet saw. Here is a link to it on Amazon. DeWalt Wet Saw . This thing rocks. I spent a lot of time researching wet saws and using ones I could beg or borrow.

The biggest fault with a wet saw, in my opinion, is that I GET WET. I hate it. I don't want to be wet and sloppy and have to drag out my apron just to make a cut. I don't want to have to build an enclosure just to use the bloody thing and keep the water in the frigging saw and not on me, everything around me, on the floor, and so forth.

After a lot of research I saw this. Now I must admit for woodworking I love my DeWalt tools, including my table saw. It is perfect for me. There are better more expensive options but I'm more than satisified. So when DeWalt announced a contractor-friendly wet saw I was excited. I read all the reviews - not just the fluff articles but ones from real contractors doing real work day in and day out. This one seemed like it would make the grade.

It went on my Christmas wish list. I got it and was really impressed as I opened the box. One of the things that DeWalt did is make it portable. Now at 70 pounds, the think isn't light, but they did an interesting thing. It comes apart without tools into five smaller pieces. The saw itself sits in a tray that holds the water. There are two wings that just snap in to catch the water. The picture doesn't show it, but these are angled up to catch the spray and direct it back into the main water tray. The sliding table even lifts off. There is a reviewer on Amazon who built some carrying cases which are pretty cool. Note the rubber flap at the back that catches the spray as well.

I don't want to sound like a DeWalt shill, but there are just so many features like the adjustable depth stops, the tilting saw head, the rubber covered sliding table that glides like its on butter, and on and on.

I cut a lot of pattern bars and this thing is solid. The 1.5HP motor doesn't even slow down for 2" thick stuff. The water is fed by adjustable tubes on either side of the blade so the water coolant is directed right at the cut, not flying off and getting me wet.

This thing is obviously designed for professionals by people who actually use tools.
This is certainly my current "COOL TOOL" for the moment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff. This is a great blog and I appreciate all the information here and the help you've given on cc and wg. I am trying to sell all my mundane equipment and keep only my sandblaster, wet hand angle grinders and get a really good saw. I think I can do everything I need with these three cold working machines. Is this still the saw you would purchase today? I'm also looking at a MK2001 Pro (clearance price of 1300). I like the splash guards on the DeWalt since I would like to be able to use it in my studio, but I like being able to raise the saw above the table on the MK to cut rims off bowls. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.
    Beverly Parker
    www.fusionsbybeverlyparker.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly, sorry I missed your comment on this post. I would still purchase the DeWalt. I have been able to do everything I want with this saw. The saw and sliding table can be lifted out and put in a different tub or even on a table if you need more clearance for a piece. I cut the rims off freehand this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really a great cutting tool. I own one and find it very sharp and very easy to use. I like your review about this wet saw. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete