Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Richard Whitely - Watch Out Here I Come!

I a little more than 96 hours, I depart for another visit to The Studio at the Corning Museum of Glass, in beautiful Corning, New York.  I attending a two week workshop with the great glass caster from "Down Under" - Richard Whitely.  You can see his work hereI'm really looking forward to it - however I've been putting off preparing to go.  Last time I took a casting class, I showed up with several molds ready to cast, and made a bunch more - all in a week's time.  

I guess I am getting lazy in my old age.  I know what I want to do, and have even drawn sketches - that will be the subject of an upcoming post.  But I only have one clay original ready.  I have a few originals in wood that I want.  And I have one wax of "The Rock" which I thought was the subject of a post from a long time ago.  But my mind is failing me - I don't see it.  So I'll post about that too in the near future.

The Rock is a nice rock I found in the backyard one day that was the perfect size for a suiseki display I was thinking about.  This is the art of rock display much like bonsai, although you don't have to prune and water the rock (unless you want to, of course).  I made a nice little display base that I cast.  I found a rock that fit perfectly on the base.  I made the two piece mold, mother mold, and even two waxes of the rock, but never got it cast.  I have the glass, the waxes, the original mold, and now a reason to do it.  

I can't find the picture of the rock and the wax right now - I did find the process photos of making the mold.  Here you can see the rock and the mother mold I'm cleaning up.  I poured a rubber mold as the next step, just to learn the process.

 

The other things I want to do are all over the map, and I'll not have the chance to do them all - but if I can get a few out of my head and into glass, I'll be very happy. 

1 comment: